Friday, February 05, 2010

Valentine PR Special : How To Get The Press To Fall In Love With You

 Day Five: Flirt, flirt, flirt

When you speak to the press you need to be up. I don’t mean giggly, girlie or just overly schmoozy. These are things that would put most potential lovers off.

What we want is confidence and sassiness. Don’t be afraid to be cheeky. Beginning your call with this may be cheeky but is going to get their ears pricking up a lot more than I sent you a press release last week and..

And I should know. I cheekily asked a company for a job in just a way, and got it!

Find out what works for you and gets you in the zone. One of my clients makes sure she goes for a run first thing in the morning on her phone days, and she stays up for hours afterwards. Another finds that rewarding himself for a great morning of calls works better. Here are some other ideas that work for my clients

  • Making a few networking calls before hand, to get in the mood
  • Paying a VA to do it!
  • Playing my Black Eyed Peas album for ten minutes before I start calling
  • Clearing my desk space of clutter
  • Exercising 
  • Imagining/visualising the call and what I am going to say
  • Writing a script and practising 
  • Having a glass of wine. I wouldn’t quite recommend this one, but it works for him!

Finally, one important part of flirting is remembering whom you talked to. I suggest making notes about each person after a conversation. You’ll never remember that the news Ed of the regional daily likes you to just get on with it, but the girl from Chat likes a bit of  small-talk before-hand. Again, if they touch on anything personal, write it down and use it in your next conversation. They’ll be amazed at how good your memory is!

For a free PR resource pack and ten day trial of our media request service click here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home