Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Secrets of Writing a Non-Fiction Book

People often ask me about my book. How long did it take to write? How did I find the time? What impact has it had on my business? Today I’ve decided to write about writing a non-fiction book as a way to boost your credibility, income and publicity.

Deciding What To Write

Almost all of the clients I see have a an idea for a book in there somewhere, often bubbling just beneath the surface. But, similarly, sometimes when they describe their great idea I’ve got a funny niggly feeling that I’ve heard it before ..and I probably have. So the first thing that you should do is check out the competition. What other titles are there on your chosen subject and how do they compare to the book you want to write? If there aren’t any then it’s either time to start rubbing your hands with glee or give up on the idea altogether as it may mean there’s little or no market. Investigate further!

Cheat A Little

I must admit that I was very lucky when it came to writing own book Get Noticed
http://www.doyourownpr.com/products/the_get_noticed_workbbok.asp

As I had about a year’s worth of newsletters that I could use to give structure and content to the book. What I had to do was turn my material into a realistic and practical course that worked as well as made sense. The good news is that if you’ve been writing newsletters for a while you probably have got a lot of ready-made material for your book already. Now, does that seem less scary?

You Don’t have To Do The Whole Thing At Once

Publishers often don’t want to wade through the whole book initially so if you’ve got a couple of chapters and a synopsis already then you can get things moving and get those out to publishers and carry on with the rest of the writing whilst you wait.

Get Inpsired

Although I’ve never tried this myself (I’ve never had to, I’m very lucky and I find writing itself very easy) many people swear by Julia Cameron’s idea of Morning pages as shown in The Artists Way.

Put it into Ebook Format

This is what www.bookshaker.com initially did with Get Noticed before publishing it as a paperback. It means that you can test the market, can gauge reactions and change the book a little if necessary and you can sell the book from your own website and keep all the profits. Who needs a publisher anyway!

Blog IT!

Blogs aren’t just for PR or writing about what you had for breakfast you know. Blogging is a great way to get your thoughts up there and out in the world and disciplining yourself to write regularly means that you’ll not only be boosting your business, helping search engine optimisation but also helping build up material for your book – and this works with fiction just as much as non-fiction.

Buy your own copy of Get Noticed at www.doyourownpr.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home